You probably fall into the category of one of two people right now. You either a) had a fabulous summer full of exciting travel and now that, sadly, summer is over, you are feeling a bit depressed and wanderlust-y. Or b) were so busy this summer that it flew right by without you having the proper chance to catch your breath (i.e. find a great beach to relax on) and now.. you are feeling a bit depressed and wanderlust-y.
Either way.. fall is here! (Except in Dallas, where fall has not yet received the memo that it is to arrive and instead is still hot as sin.) But regarding my summer, I definitely fall into the former category above! I had a FANTASTIC summer, filled with an epic family + friends beach trip to Kiawah Island, a destination wedding in south Florida, a Turks & Caicos exploration, my first ever Virtuoso Travel Week in Las Vegas, and finally ending with a perfect girls weekend with one of my best friends in New York City.
But as happy as I am to spend some quality time with my family, friends, and football this fall season, I must admit that as my American Airlines jet approached DFW from LGA last week, I could not help but wonder where my next journey will take me? Of course I have some ideas, and am in the early stages of plotting out my next trips, but in the meantime, I have some great fall travel ideas for you! So wherever you are, depressed and wanderlust-y, don’t despair. Fall is an EXCELLENT time to travel, and it is definitely not too late to plan your escape.. before the rush of the holiday season is upon us!
1) NEW YORK CITY – So fall, including from after Labor Day through the holidays, is the busiest time in NYC. There is Fashion Week, the New York City marathon, Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, ice-skating in Rockefeller Center and the famous Christmas tree lighting.. the list goes on. But what a great place to rejuvenate for a long weekend and stroll through Central Park? Or to celebrate New Years Eve- not too early to start thinking about that!!
- The Greenwich Hotel – one of my favorites, located on a quiet street in Tribeca and full of class and charm (+ Virtuoso amenities)
- The Ritz Carlton Battery Park – offering the third night free through December 31 (+ Ritz Stars amenities)
- The Ritz Carlton Central Park – offering the fourth night free through December 30 (+ Ritz Stars amenities)
- The Benjamin – A very family-friendly hotel in Midtown, all rooms/suites have kitchenettes (+ Virtuoso amenities)
2) PARIS – Why not? Temperatures have cooled off perfectly enough for morning and evening strolls along the Seine, and the summer crowds have dispersed. You could do the conventional tourist activities such as The Lourve and Eiffel Tower, or simply get lost in the narrow streets of the Left Bank, sipping wine, savoring crepes, and boutique shopping.
- Hotel Esprit Saint Germain – In the heart of the Left Bank, very Parisian with a residential feel. Offering the fourth night free November 1 – December 28. Includes complimentary in-room minibar, daily breakfast, and complimentary lobby minibar offerings. (+ Virtuoso amenities)
3) TURKS & CAICOS – The Caribbean in the fall? Yes, if you are careful with your timing! November is actually a lovely time to visit the islands, at the very end of hurricane season, but before the Christmas season. Fewer crowds, powder white beaches – a well-deserved break so you can recharge and relax before the crazy holiday season. And only 90 minutes flight from Miami! All of the below are Virtuoso properties and have fall specials, so take advantage!
- The Regent Palms – Great couples getaway, beautiful pool with swim-up bar, and casually elegant rooms
- Parrot Cay by COMO – Beautiful and secluded private island just off of Provo
- Grace Bay Club – Great resort for both couples and families (they have an adult-only hotel and pool as well as many kids activities). Several dining options here, all front the beautiful Grace Bay Beach
4) NAPA VALLEY – It goes without saying that fall is the most popular time to visit the Napa and Sonoma Valleys of Northern California. Beautiful weather, harvest celebrations, grape stomps.. However, if you can wait until November, the prices will drop a bit, the crowds will thin, and you will be treated to some glorious fall foliage.
- Meadowood – Just outside of St. Helena, cozy luxury resort featuring cottages with fireplaces (perfect for chilly fall nights with your sweetie!), and The Restaurant – a 3 Michelin star dining experience (+ Virtuoso amenities)
- Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa – A larger property in Sonoma with a 40,000 square foot spa. Rooms recently renovated. Daily complimentary wine-tasting in the lobby. Great place to base yourself to explore Sonoma Valley! (+ Virtuoso amenities)
5) PALMETTO BLUFF, SC – The cozy cottages with fireplaces on the May River make the Inn at Palmetto Bluff a perfect fall escape. (Recall my waxing poetic about it earlier this year here.) In addition to a slower-paced Lowcountry getaway with delicious food, the Inn is only 25 minutes from Savannah- perfect for a day trip, or to spend a couple nights in each to maximize your stay.
- Inn at Palmetto Bluff – Cottages. Fireplaces. Lowcountry cuisine. Houses to rent if you are bringing your family or want to do a multi-generational getaway. October-November IS their high season, but the fall weather is perfect and the fireplace is crackling!
Of course, there are so many other great fall getaways I didn’t mention.. feel free to ask me about other ideas or to start planning your trip!