Are you planning a trip to Calistoga, California? Located in Upper Napa Valley, Calistoga is rich in history and culture, making it the perfect location for a memorable vacation. This unique area was once home to the Wappo Indigenous People in the 18th century before Anglo settlers began arriving in the 1840’s. As years progressed, Calistoga’s economy was centered around mining silver and mercury, agriculture like grapes, prunes, and walnuts, and tourism from people flocking to the local hot springs.
Today, Calistoga remains a hotspot for tourism, allowing visitors to explore untouched wine country, soak in relaxing hot spring spas, and much more. When planning your Calistoga vacation, consider these five insider tips on where to go, things to see, and what to do, so you can explore this Napa Valley gem like a true local.
1. Solbar at Solage Calistoga
The Michelin-rated Solbar offers guests an unforgettable dining experience by serving up farm-fresh, seasonal ingredients in unique, flavorful, and surprising dishes that truly reflect the quality of the Napa Valley area. A local favorite, Solbar has a luxurious, expansive patio area that highlights the lush surrounding and the casual, spirited atmosphere makes this a shining restaurant in the Calistoga area.
The Solbar lounge shakes things up with innovative signature cocktails, pallet-pleasing local wines and creative appetizers and small dishes, while the restaurant serves up memorable dish after memorable dish. Call today to make your Solbar reservation.
2. Mud Baths
A local speciality in Calistoga are mud baths, a combination of local volcanic ash, imported Canadian peat, and naturally heated mineral waters. With different locations around the area, these mud baths have anti-inflammatory, detoxifying, analgesic, relaxing, and revitalizing effects that truly enhance your overall vacation. From individual spa treatments to couples’ mud baths, including this activity on your Calistoga itinerary is a must.
3. Bennett Lane Balloon Rides
Along with offering some of the best winery-perks in the area, Bennett Lane Winery takes guests’ experience to the next level in their privately-owned 67-foot hot air balloon. During a trip in the Bennett balloon, you’ll get to experience the scenic views of Napa Valley like never before. With packages like a private flight and limousine service, to standard flights and a picnic lunch at the winery, Bennett Lane Winery offers fantastic packaging options for nearly every budget.
4. Calistoga Concerts
The Calistoga Beverage Company presents Concerts in the Park every Thursday from 6:30-8:30 pm June 23 – August 25. Gather your friends and family and mingle with locals in Pioneer Park to the sound of local tunes. Bring blankets, chairs, and a picnic dinner and enjoy one of Calistoga’s favorite summer celebrations. Note: Adult beverages are allowed, and select, local wines are available for purchase. Grab dinner to-go from Brennan’s Grill, Buster’s BBQ, Checkers, or Cal Mart.
5. Take A Wine Tour
Visiting Calistoga without taking a wine tour is like going to the beach without touching the sand; it’s frowned upon and nearly impossible. Sign up for a guided private tour, or create your own. Consider stopping at these 5 Calistoga staples and taking note of some insider tips along the way:
- Bennett Lane Winery: You already know – reserve a ride on the hot air balloon.
- Dutch Henry Winery: Play bocce ball while enjoying your favorite wine.
- Chateau Montelena: Participate in their reservation-free Current Release Tastings.
- Castello di Amorosa: Children get to have fun too by tasting the winery’s grape juice.
- Tedeschi Family Winery: Become a wine club member and enjoy concierge services.
By taking note of these five insider tips, you can rest assured your trip to Calistoga will be one to remember!
Huge thanks to Solage Calistoga for this fantastic guest post and inside look at Calistoga!
And for a great spot to stay in Calistoga, look no further than Solage, a modern, boutique resort featuring an eco-conscious design, complimentary cruiser bikes for guests to explore with, and a 130-foot swimming pool. Haute Holidays clients enjoy the following Virtuoso perks while staying at Solage:
- Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
- Complimentary full breakfast for two daily for duration of the stay
- $100 USD equivalent Resort or Hotel credit to be utilized during stay (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full)
- One complimentary Mudslide treatment at Spa Solage
- Complimentary bottle of house Napa Valley Cabernet along with personal welcome note from Solage Calistoga’s General Manager, Marcus Mueller
- Early check-in and late check-out upon request (subject to availability)
- Departure gift
Let me know today how I can help craft your Napa getaway!